Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Rainbow Breakfast

Up the hill they wind – slowly
Safe in their protective shells
Of steel and glass.
As they draw near, they almost stop
Then turn and stare.

And I in turn, stare back.
Seated at the restaurant table
Peering out, through the safety
Of the large picture window – And wonder,
If I missed the notice.

When was it to begin –
The freak show, the zoo parade.
Should I be doing something?
Waving – Blowing kisses.
I don’t want to disappoint.
They have traveled so far out of their way.

They look out from their cars
Waiting, hoping for a quick glimpse
Some insight into the pervasive gay-ness.
Their hearts quicken as two young men
Hand in hand, cross the road.
How delicious, How decadent,
How – well – different.

And I sip at my coffee
And wonder – are they good people,
Just curious – just interested
Or – are they filled with hate
And should I be glad for that thick
Pane of glass which separates our world from theirs.

Bill - February 18, 2006

No comments: