Tuesday, September 11, 2007

No Smoking

The bars are different now
Without the smoke
The old ambiance of Casa Blanca
Hazy dens of sophistication, of iniquity
Gone.
The new scene, Boy Scout meetings,
Sewing circles.

Imagine Warren Cleaver
With tank top and tattoos
Tending bar
And the Beaver
Ordering a Bud light.
That’s it
That’s the picture.

Everybody used to look great
Through the haze of
A hundred cigarettes.
The drinks tasted better then,
Or maybe our taste buds,
Smoked like so many hams,
Couldn’t tell the difference.

Now, in the pristine atmosphere
Of our politically correct city,
There is a clarity of vision.
The hunk you ask to your bed
Is the same guy you wake up to.
Adventure is dead.

The predictability – is nauseating
Where is the romance
Where is Paul Henreid, lighting
Two cigarettes, handing one
To Bette Davis.
An age lost
Now Voyager - Now Boring.

We have become as children
Protected from ourselves
No longer capable of making decisions
The committees of the informed
Instruct us, guide us,
Surgically remove our free will.
And we let them.



Bill – Oct 19, 2004

2 comments:

MadPriest said...

Hi Bill,
I am one of the few people who still buy books of poetry. In fact, back in the day, I was a performance poet myself, albeit of very limited and local renown. So it is as someone who is informed that I say you are the best blogging poet that I have come across. With you there is a zero squirm factor, if you get my drift.

This poem is one of you finest. It is well crafted, the imagery is spot on (you reference the imagery of others to create your own imagery) and the political point is well made but not bombastic.

Normally, I would just link through to a piece of work like this from my own site. But, of course, people are lazy and if they see the word poem, many will not bother. I was wondering, in this particular case if I could have your permission to post the poem in its entirety. I would, of course, still link through to your blog and plug it big time. I get, on average, about 2500 visitors a day and I think your work deserves such exposure.

I will understand if you wish to keep this on your site only and will still link through to it.

My email is jh002a0382@blueyonder.co.uk

God bless
Jonathan

Bill said...

MP, if it's here I wanted it to be read. Of course You can post it. Thanks for the comments.